Colin George Orpin was born in Kent, United Kingdom (UK) in 1943.
- BSc (Hons) Biology & Soil Science, University of Bangor, Wales, UK (1962-1966).
- BSc in Agriculture with Chemistry and Agricultural Zoology.
- PhD, University of Bangor, Wales, UK (1966-1969)
- Thesis entitled: ‘Microbial metabolism of some Bipyridyls and their derivatives’.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, ARC Institute of Animal Physiology, Babraham, Cambridge, UK (1969-1987)
- Professor, Department of Artic Biology, University of Tromsø, Norway (1983-1987)
- Program Manager in Applications of Biotechnology, CSIRO Division of Tropical Crops & Pastures, Australia (1988-1993)
- Honorary Doctor of Science, Nathan University, Brisbane, Australia (1993).
- Sabbatical (1993-1994)
- Visiting Professor in Veterinary Microbiology, Oregon State University, USA (1994-1995)
Colin Orpin is now retired and lives in the UK.